Sunday 11 May 2008

Exposition of abuse

10 May 2008

Nottinghamshire Healthcare NHS Trust
Duncan Macmillan House
Porchester Road
Nottingham NG3 6AA

Dear Sirs

I am writing to complain formally that I did not receive adequate consultation and information when my wife was detained at Bassetlaw Hospital mental unit last December.

Also I wish to alert you to the fact that when I myself was detained at Bassetlaw Hospital in September 2005 (for a number of weeks) improper influence was brought to bear on my RMO Dr G. Somebody without adequate authority advised him - and others of the ‘team’ - of the urgent necessity for me to be medicated, which because of my detestation for the effect on the functioning of my mind of antidopamine drugs could only be achieved with a threat of force. I recall that at the time great care was taken that independent observers (other nurses) were present when compulsion was offered. I was grateful for this as it meant I would not suffer undue violence, but I do suggest it is in itself evidence that I was being treated in a special way. From my point of view it was a specially hurtful way as it meant I was subdued - and have remained for months since subdued - by antidopamine drugs. People there with practical experience - such as my named nurse - could see that I was not in need of such medication.

While I was in detention from September 2005 for a number of weeks my wife was also detained, and conveyed to be held at Sutton-in-Ashfield in another part of the county. At the beginning of 2006 I wrote to you complaining that she had not been discharged when I as nearest relative ordered it on 18 September 2005. You sent me your findings following this complaint in a letter dated 11 April 2006.

In the letter I originally sent to the Milbrook Unit at Sutton-in-Ashfield where my wife was held, in September 2005, I complained that I had not been informed, as nearest relative, of her detention. I had had trouble even finding the address of the Milbrook Unit to write to. In the reply I received from Lynne Murtagh (described as Modern Matron) no explanation was offered why I had not been informed. It was said that my wife’s rights had been explained to her on a number of occasions but she was confused. Around this time someone supplied me with a misleading document numbered Patient’s Information Leaflet 21 purporting to explain the rights and responsibilities of the nearest relative.

I attach a section copied from the Mental Health Act 1983 clearly stating that persons are not to be detained without consulting the nearest relative.

I regret I have to tell you that the same breach occurred last December when my wife was detained under section 4 (cases of emergency). When I telephoned Ward B2 at Bassetlaw Hospital to enquire if my wife was there the answer was I could not be told because of Data Protection legislation. This is ridiculous. It turned out my wife was there, persuaded to remain for a number of days following the 72 hours covered by the emergency detention. (I mention that in such cases the seeming consent of the detained patient is affected by drugs given as well as by sometimes the implied threat that compulsion can again be used to detain longer.)

I ask that you investigate the facts of this matter as soon as possible and provide a satisfactory response to this formal complaint.

Yours faithfully

Colin Barrass-Brough



¬¬¬

10 May 2008

Mental Health Act Commission
Maid Marian House
56 Hounds Gate
Nottingham NG1 6BG

Dear Sirs

I enclose for your information a complaint I am sending to Nottinghamshire Healthcare NHS Trust. As part of the question goes back to late 2005 when both my wife and I were in detention in Nottinghamshire, I am also sending you a copy of a letter purportedly from the Mental Health Act Commission regretting an error in advice given to me in a preceding letter also seemingly from the Mental Health Act Commission. The reason I am sending this is that it is unbelievable the Mental Health Act Commission would give such mistaken advice and I conclude the letters may have been false. I ask you to look into this question.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Yours faithfully

Colin Barrass-Brough

No comments: