Wednesday 9 May 2012

Wednesday 09-May-12

09/05/12 06:41 [Wednesday]
In the course of trying to find a backup from 2009 of the website image I referred to on 29-Apr-12 I copied two encrypted folders made around January 2009 from DVD onto Colin-Packard (onto partition 2 in fact) that is the Packard Bell netbook computer I use. Having finished my search I have tried to delete these encrypted folders, of size about 4GB each. They got moved to the Recycle Bin but when I then tried to empty the Recycle Bin a message came up saying certain files with unrecognisable names (at least one beginning with $) could not be deleted as they were being used by some program. The outcome is that the Recycle Bin appears empty (so that it cannot be further emptied) but it is occupying about 8GB which I could do with freeing up.
Having thought about this this past night - this disturbing my sleep and causing me to get up very early - I conclude that the files in question, that is versions in the Recycle Bin of the big files I had deleted, had been locked by having a particular flag set in their entries in the index by a rogue program. Because this flag is not expected to be set for files in the Recycle Bin - because if the file is locked it means it is in use and cannot at that stage be moved to the Recycle Bin - trying to completely delete the files in emptying the Recycle Bin produces anomalous results, that is the files disappear from listings but still reside on the hard disk occupying space. I have had this type of problem in the past and concluded the files ‘secreted’ in the Recycle Bin were being retained in the hidden form for later retrieval by somebody ‘spying’ on me, that is retrieval either by illicit upload on connecting to the internet or by physically obtaining the hard disk after I had got rid of that computer (often in the past by giving it away to one of Dawn’s children). Some support for this suspicion derives from the fact that a hard disk was removed from a laptop left in the house which was Dawn’s in Worksop in August 2005 and stolen. Thinking about this now it is impossible to think up any reasonable explanation why the hard disk might have been stolen but not the entire laptop, other than by conjecturing that the information stored on the hard disk was what was wanted. Then again it is impossible to believe people authorised by the Department of Health would steal a hard disk and I can’t imagine who other than the ‘Department of Health’ or a related body would be interested in my ‘information’. The way I used to think was that I must be in some legal thrall to ‘the State’ so that what I thought of as my own was not in simple truth my own but was subject to the whims of my ‘Guardians’. (Sorry about all the inverted commas but they seem absolutely necessary.) This way I had of thinking came about since I was deprived of freedom and in thrall through several years of the 1980s, and subject to the whims of Armond who signed detention orders and the whims of those he represented (because he personally had no specific interest in me). I took the view that there was no point in my making an effort to get back to work because at any time without forewarning I might be seized again and conveyed away to detention. To treat people who are sensitive in the way they are treated when they are suddenly taken away to a mental hospital is bound to produce exaggerated reactions of this type, surely. Possibly Armond was a particularly bad culprit in that I was suddenly seized - literally seized that is clamped by the arms of ambulance-men - and taken away the first time on that Tuesday in November 1980, without any prior discussion or suggestion to me that I might need to go into hospital. When I was taken away - again on a Tuesday - in September 2010 it was slightly better. I did not need to be seized as I knew that if they said I had to go then I had to go, and I was allowed time to get my things together (including even my netbook laptop although the Social Worker involved had his doubts). To be honest the way I think is I was better treated in 2010 because a police officer was involved throughout, and it was he who said I could have time to collect my things and to make sure to lock the place up properly.
Thinking that what appeared to be my own was not in truth my own led to my giving up any attempt to conserve money in 2009-2010 so that I wasted a very large quantity. I also fell into the difficulties I had with my home insurance when I allowed it to lapse, thinking ‘the State’ was responsible for looking after me even if the bungalow I lived in fell down or was otherwise destroyed.
To get back to the fault on the computer which has developed recently reminding me of the same fault in past years: I cannot tell whether the illicit program which set the flag on those files for the Recycle Bin which could not be deleted ran on partition 1 - Windows 7 Starter Edition as it came originally with this netbook - or on partition 2 - the Vista I installed myself from a source which I have long had suspicions about. I remark though that I have had other problems with the partition 2 Vista, for example when I plugged-in the hard disk docking station I was using to make a copy of the system partitions from the Irish Vaio.
What I am intending to do is reinstall Colin-Packard from the recovery DVDs and then - I believe having had experience with Nero BackItUp I can do this - backup the system partition without installing Vista or any other operating system but simply using Nero BackItUp running from a CD. I must say recovering the system by copying back the system partition using Nero BackItUp is a quick process even though making the backup in the first place takes two hours or so.
I mention that as part of this project I have tried to install Nero 9 on the Irish Vaio, but the install hung up at 13% and I had to shut the computer down leaving the system possibly in an unstable condition from the part-install. Why the Nero 9 did not install I do not know as I’m sure I have used Nero 9 previously on the Irish Vaio, but it’s another anomaly to annoy me and cause me to have suspicions what the basis of the failure might be.


No comments: