Tuesday 15 May 2012

Tuesday 15-May-12


15/05/12 19:36 [Tuesday]
I did not do what I said with Colin-Packard: instead I have reconstituted partition 1 from the Nero BackItUp backup of it stored on partition 2. This means the suspect Vista is still on partition 2 and what I am now thinking of doing is getting rid of it by re-formatting partition 2. The reason I had an operating system on partition 2 was that I thought it was necessary in order to run BackItUp to back-up partition 1, but with the experience I have now gathered it is clear BackItUp can run simply from a CD. If I re-format partition 2 the boot menu asking for a choice between Windows 7 (on partition 1) and Vista will still appear (because - and I understand these matters better now than ever before - the boot partition is partition 1 since that was the first partition with any operating system on it) but I think I know enough to be able to edit it to disappear.
I recovered the Irish Vaio in a similar way using BackItUp based on the files storing the copy of partitions 1 to 3 which I created by taking the hard drive out of the Vaio and using the docking station I have mentioned several times. I now know that I didn’t need to take the hard drive out: I could have backed-up the system partitions using BackItUp running off a CD. The recovery has gone according to plan except that the Recovery partition has ceased to be invisible and has been allocated the letter H:.
The reason I recovered the Irish Vaio was the failed install of Nero 9 and I have yet to make a repeat attempt to install that software.
15/05/12 20:05
I was on a train recently and this poster took my attention. What I find jarring is the appearance of two sentences the same but not quite identical:
  • DO NOT step onto any rails
  • DO NOT step onto ANY rail
Similarly in the one place cables are called cables and in the other place they are called wires.
(I cannot discover how to get this image round the right way.)  

No comments: