Sunday 8 April 2012

Saturday 07-Apr-12

07/04/12 11:36 [Saturday]
I am sitting in the Caffè Ritazza on the concourse of New Street station in Birmingham thinking this is just like old times. The thing is, something cropped up on the train from Stourbridge which engaged my interest leading me to want to set down my thoughts in explicit language (and I thought of my PDA before I thought of this netbook computer but the PDA is not charged up).
The greater interest I find in things which arise in my mind - greater than the average person - is a function of the high level of dopamine transmissions in my brain (or more properly stated the high level of responsivity of dopaminergic neural systems). If the greater interest goes beyond bounds, as it did when I was not on any dopamine-blocking medication, I come to believe such things as that events around me have been specially designed to engage my interest: for example that the people around me are actors set on to entertain me (or that they are set on to accompany me for some other purpose although I was never able to concoct a believable theory why it might be).
All that happened on the train from Stourbridge was an automated announcement and corresponding words coming up on the electronic screen mainly used to show the train’s destination and calling points: Please be considerate of other passengers, do not put your feet on the seats. What engaged my attention was the mistaken punctuation in the typed version. Other thoughts followed along the lines of pondering why it is people cannot use English properly these days and whether most teachers would use the correct version.
To report my thinking on the correct version: if there is no relationship between considering other passengers and not putting feet on seats it should read
Please be considerate of other passengers. Do not put your feet on the seats.
If (as is more likely) we are enjoined to be considerate through the mechanism of not putting our feet on the seats it should read
Please be considerate of other passengers: do not put your feet on the seats.
I am pleased (having discovered that Blogger reports statistics) that I get quite a few readers for my blogspot blog, so I am trying to put all my new stuff on that. Before I can put this on that though I need to catch up by putting up (in arrears) the diary entries I have written in March and April so far and put (so far) on my own website colinbrough.co.uk.
07/04/12 13:20
Continuing that theme: I have been trying to upload a diary entry from 26-Mar-12 to my blogspot blog but I have got nowhere because I am on a train and keep getting cut off (trying to use a dongle). I am not certain the ‘3’ software was not infected with a virus, because it said it was connected to 3 via a 3G connection but still when I tried to start my Chrome browser it said there was no connection. Since then I have uninstalled the dongle software and reinstalled it (on plugging the dongle in afresh) and the browser - Internet Explorer as I also uninstalled Chrome - worked for a while before once again the connection failed. Thinking about it, this time the connection really did fail (rather than the ‘3’ software going wrong) because the dongle started flashing green instead of giving a steady blue light.
This sort of failure used to make me think I was being deliberately targeted (with spyware, my top suspicion) but now (on this medication) firstly I understand things more calmly and better (so that I can theorise that most likely the dongle software had indeed gone wrong but is now corrected through the reinstallation) and secondly I can understand the likelihood that the malware (likely something different from spyware) came from somewhere accidental and not some organisation deliberately singling me out.

No comments: