Monday 9 April 2012

Monday 09-Apr-12

09/04/12 09:03 [Bank Holiday Monday]
I am presently using the ‘Pink Vaio’ laptop which now belongs to Dawn. I feel I ought to report events which have caused me frustration (by interrupting what I was doing). The true reason is they rise so powerfully in my mind so that I feel an urge - as I did yesterday with the ‘interesting’ notice on the train - to set down an explanation in words. I don’t know that it does me any good exactly to set out my explanations via the internet, but - who knows? - the explanations may find readers who feel kin to me in the experience because they have suffered similar frustrations. I suppose exchanging explanations of things is all to the good and is a natural function of human existence.
What happened was the computer unexpectedly shut down and then re-started, while I was in the middle of accessing internet sites using Chrome. This I thought can’t be right: even if the computer is set to install updates (and someone has set it to download and install updates even though this is a more noticeable cost when using a dongle than when using WiFi) surely it shouldn’t just shut down: surely it should ask the user first, to give him a chance to save his data. My initial guess was that the culprit was Vaio Updates, the reason being I have such a high opinion of Microsoft. But after the re-start a notice came up saying Windows had finished installing updates: in other words Microsoft are to blame. I have now reset the settings to ask before downloading updates.

No comments: