Wednesday 11 June 2008

Delayed posting from Friday 30-May-08

It seems to me then that the treatment I have been given, although unusual in being surreptitious and by virtue of that unevadable until recently, has been based on standard treatment in Britain for people with a diagnosis of schizophrenia. It must be that in recent years psychiatrists have genuinely taken me to be schizophrenic, although I find it difficult to believe Armond and his co-perpetrators in earlier years would arrive at the conclusion that I inevitably was schizophrenic merely on the basis of the schizoid personality which led me into all this when I went up to Cambridge in my student days. Presumably the conclusion was drawn that I was genuinely mentally ill, and the diagnosis of schizophrenia accepted, when I reported my suicide attempt at the start of 1986 (reported it then, that is). The extent to which Armond genuinely believed the diagnosis in 1986 I cannot tell.

The standard treatment for schizophrenia I find is left in the hands of people who think that what is important in life is to have money to spend on material things, and to a degree that it is a responsibility to work for money if one is capable. Such carers are not at all in tune with the things their patients would want and do if free (of debilitation from what I can agree is an illness given the context they find themselves in, but also from debilitation which in many cases I suspect is worse, from the treatment).

In my own case the law has been broken on more than one occasion, and, because I was regarded as mental, no one has taken much trouble to assist me in rectifying this (either in complaining effectively so as to deter a repeat, or in obtaining compensation). Advice I would certainly urge on those with ultimate responsibility would be to put in place procedures whereby the law must be strictly adhered to. (For example Dawn was detained beyond the time I as nearest relative ordered her release, and the procedure which Armond followed of insisting I sleep one night every few months in hospital was found to be illegal when tested in another case.)

The reason the law is not adhered to is that those treating the mentally ill feel they can do better than the law allows for their patients. Similarly they feel they can do better than manufacturers of the medication allow, by giving dosages in excess of the recommended maximum. As I have said before, they are fools beyond compare. Laws get debated extensively before being enacted and even should there be such a thing as a clever psychiatrist he is not going to do better than by following the law.

No comments: